The following are some functions of investment banking firms that normally fall into categories like Wealth Management, Corporate Finance, Capital Markets and Alternative Investments.
Public Offerings of Debt and Equity Securities
Representing corporate firms in;
• IPOs of securities issued by firms that have never issued any public securities before.
• IPOs of new securities of companies which are already public but have not issued before.
• More public offerings of securities which are already traded publicly.
• Public offerings by shareholders of securities which are already traded publicly.
Mergers and Acquisitions
This involves the much hyped mega acquisitions, hostile attacks, takeover battles and fierce defenses. The investment bankers aim to optimize terms and prices. The investment banking firms find, facilitate, evaluate and fund mergers and acquisitions. Included in these transactions are influencing of buyouts by private equity, restructuring and recapitalization of firms and the reorganization of companies in crisis.
Corporate Financial Advisory
Services offered in this category include;
• Raising financial capital for general investments
• Consultation on mergers and acquisitions
• Financing acquisitions
• IPOs of portfolio firms owned by funds
• Merging and acquiring companies when IPOs are inappropriate.
Conditioning positions regarding foreign currency exchanges, interest rates and commodity positions using options, swaps and futures are fundamental pillars of financial markets. Swaps are the means through which parties exchange obligations to their debts in order to precisely control each party’s desired risk profile.
Investment banking firms compete with each another and with specialized money management companies in accumulating assets for management. The assets include properties of super-rich individuals, pension and insurance funds.
Investment banks are also venturing in other sectors like arbitrage, private equity and real estate. The growth of funds under management that include hedge funds has dramatically increased and investment banks are now developing their proprietary products as well as selling them.
This is raising money for governments at all levels like county and municipal governments, national governments and state governments. The firms may also help national governments in the privatization of its assets.
Madison Street Capital, a global investment banking firm, is committed to leadership, integrity, excellence and service in offering corporate financial advisory to privately and publicly held firms. Madison Street Capital has services that fall in the following categories;
• Mergers and Acquisitions
• Private Placements
• Capital Restructuring
• ESOP Advisory
• Reorganization Services
• Bankruptcy Services
• Corporate Governance
• Buy Out Advisory
• Tax Compliance
• Company Valuation
Valuation for Financial Reporting
• Structured Finance Products
• Goodwill & Intangible Asset Impairment
• Purchase Price Allocations
• Share Based Compensation
• Solvency and Capital Adequacy
• Independent Third Party Fairness Opinions
Asset Management Industry Focus
• Portfolio Valuation Services
• Restructuring Services
• Mergers and Acquisitions Advisory
• Financial Sponsor Coverage